Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Elegy to the Old Dreams

Walldorf-Frankfurt

I am twenty in my dream
Drifting with backpack between the continents
From one city to another city
From one village to another village
I once lie in the boundless fields
Trying to understand the soil and its primitives
I once run madly in the thick forest
Demonstrating to the mountain my young and fighting spirit

In these journeys
All the strangers are eager to show me their hospitality
Even the most boring souls
Are converted to poets and sing with me
I walk day and night, reaching as far as I can
As if there is only one trip in my life
I forget how to sleep and when to eat
Knowing that after youth there is only aging and dying

Now I am over twenty
I am wakened by the spring rain
  of Walldorf, southern Germany. I light up the candle
And watch it burning to its end. 
Outside the window
The morning is coming
Inside my room
My old dream in reviving in the dim light

No comments:

Post a Comment